Sunday, June 7, 2009

Babysitting and photo fun

For those who know Cody and me, it is safe to say that when it comes to babies, we have absolutely no clue what we are doing. Although I have a brother and a sister and a nephew who is more like a brother than a nephew, I grew up an only child, and Cody grew up the oldest of three. I remember when I was eight years old I begged my mom for a little brother or sister because my friend who lived down the street just got a new baby sister, and she was so cute, I wanted one too. Needless to say I never got my wish, but I wouldn't change a thing. I liked my life growing up as an only child- it's not as lonely as people who grew up with siblings will try to make you believe, I promise. And while we all have our issues, I would like to think I'm not a total screw-up as a result.

Yesterday, Cody and I spent the afternoon with our friend's little 7-month-old, Cruz, while his parents Jason and Jessica Williams were out doing a photo shoot for their new business, Session 9 Photography. Jay and Jess are two of the best people we have ever had the privilege of calling friend, and their little boy is so adorable you could just eat him up. So it was a no-brainer to embark on our first babysitting adventure as a couple with Cruz at the helm.

What a day! We had fun rolling around on the floor with him, keeping him entertained with his toys and various ridiculous faces, watching Finding Nemo, taking him for a ride in his stroller through their neighborhood, marveling at the sheer volume of spit-up that a single child can produce, and learning that baby wipes aren't meant to be thrown by themselves into a Diaper Genie (definitely something I will NEVER FORGET AGAIN). Cruz is such a happy baby that even when he's fussy he's still a joy to be around. And I am so happy that we have this particular family alongside us through this totally unpredictable journey we find ourselves on, because their own experiences and uncertainties parallel ours in so many ways, and things have turned out more than fine for them. It's such an encouragement to both of us.

On another note, Cody and I are going to start taking belly pictures in the very near future. I'm not showing yet, but it will be fun to document the progress over the next several months. If I were funnier and more creative and also 25 weeks further into my pregnancy, I would have thought of this first, but I digress.

We have our first photo shoot with Session 9 next weekend and we are SO EXCITED. I say first shoot because they will be doing our maternity and hospital shots as well! The only experience I have had as a "model" was at our wedding- and funny story, I was so barfy at our wedding that I spent half the time that would have been spent taking pictures in the bathroom, and now I'm in my first trimester and am feeling barfy all the time... so I'm 0 for 2 at the moment. Good news is that I haven't actually "finished the job," if you know what I mean; I just constantly feel on the brink of it. It will be fun to get all decked out for this shoot since these days my favorite thing to do is not wear makeup so I don't have to make the effort to take it off at night, because that is A LOT OF EFFORT. I am anxiously awaiting my blood test results from the doctor so they can tell me that yes, I am indeed anemic, and then they will give me a magical pill that will take the edge off the simply unreal fatigue that is brought on by this building-a-human-being business, and I can finally wake up from this haze I have been living in for the past month and start to feel normal again.

And yes, I am fully aware that "normal" as I once knew it has ceased to exist. This "new normal" will be quite a ride.

(Originally published at Baby Steps to Mom on June 7, 2009.)

2 comments:

  1. That is awesome that you'll get to professionally document your pregnancy and birth.

    In this (my second pregnancy) I've pretty much refused to take any belly pictures, even though I did them weekly last time. I simply can't bear to look at how big this bell is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, we may not have done this if our friends didn't offer to take the pictures for free. Andrea MAY not be so happy about the pictures a bit later...we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete

The Alleys: Est. 11/11/2007

Andrea is a mom to two "fur-babies," an amateur seamstress and homemaker a la Martha Stewart and Rachael Ray, a connoisseur of imported beers, an upcoming barista and restaurant manager, a Petlane Pet Advisor, an Icelander at heart, an occasional vegetarian, and a self-proclaimed correcter of grammatical errors (a.k.a. "grammar Nazi"). The intensity of her beauty is matched only by the passion she has for life. And she loves her husband more than life itself (yes, Cody wrote that part).

Cody is 100% lovable nerd and a budding musician. He is a thoughtful theologian, cultural critic, artist at heart, movie trivia buff, and fellow dog lover. He loves adventure, travel and seeking out everything that God has planned for him, which may or may not be his day job as an Academic Advisor at ASU, but it's a good way to pay the bills for now. His biggest desire is to go to seminary (although this really depends on the day) and his sense of humor is one of many things that others love most about him. He takes amazing care of his wife and their "fur-kids" (though he prefers to be called a "dog owner." Whatever.). He loves his wife more than life itself (he wrote that all on his own).

Together, the Alleys are navigating this thing called life by seeking out the Lord's guidance and wisdom. They love getting to know each other more and more every day. There is so much to learn and experience and this is where you'll find their journey.


Followers